The Importance of Carryover with Speech Therapy
What is carryover?
“Carryover is a client’s ability to take an individual speech skill learned in the therapy room and to apply it broadly in all speaking situations.”
Carryover is important to complete in a variety of settings with many listeners. The more carryover that gets done the quicker goals are met. Carryover helps family members to stay motivated as well as the client.
Important things to remember about carryover:
- Practicing bad habits or poor execution of a technique can impede results
- Carryover should only occur with what the client is successful at in therapy
Ways to get facilitate carryover
- Create activities that can be completed during everyday tasks
- Parents should engage in conversation with their children
- Exaggeration of prosody during conversation can encourage facilitation of language and appropriate features
- The type of toy used during play can help encourage appropriate use of language and increase utterances for children
- Asking children multiple “wh” questions helps facilitate language and encourage appropriate production of target sounds